Thursday, March 19, 2015

Forward


 
My name is David Hoff. I am what some might call a bit obsessive over my hobby in the outdoors. But to me, this is much more than a hobby; it is a way of life. I am not here to hop on the recent band wagon of the extreme back country bow hunter or the gear nut craze for the hunters that find themselves matching their camo in the mirror to never leave their house. Nothing against either avenue, I like to look good in camo too, but I am here to hopefully share my passion and pass along some of the knowledge that I have gained through my adventures; successful or not. You will find if you stay along with me that my values as a sportsman are not dedicated to one hunting means or fisherman click - I aim to use every opportunity I have to enjoy what God has so graciously given us.

I grew up with a younger sister in Western Colorado on my family’s ranch. Early on, my dad decided that the city corporate life was for the birds (you may be realizing where I got it from….). He and my mom moved to the ranch across the field from her mother to start a grassroots dog training facility that has grown into a successful business attracting clients from around the world. Although my wife and I currently live in Arvada, CO, we still define this as our home base. From here is where I ventured for most of my early hunting career. Starting with upland and waterfowl and moving quickly to hauling a bow around the woods as soon as I was twelve (legal age in CO). I hunted the first few years with little success and turned to a Ruger .243 to fill the freezer each fall with a deer and a January cow. Now days I tend to lean toward the more traditional route of archery. It isn’t that I feel too proud or that pursuing game with a compound is too easy; my only reasoning is I have found solace in the added challenge and the art of the sport.

The idea of starting this venture to begin documenting our experiences all came while at work, an engineering desk job in downtown Denver. I was sitting at the desk and although I was focused on writing up my weekly reports, my mind was elsewhere. It was running through draw statistics for the approaching fall, it was visualizing new strategies to employ the upcoming hunting season, it was on a river during the spring spawn; well I guess you could say I was a little distracted. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy what I do as an engineer; but it is not my true life passion. We all have our reasons for work; to support our families, to keep our minds sharp, to have a sense of satisfaction at the end of each day. For me, yes it is a combination of all these motives, however, the biggest reason is to fund what I love most. This true passion was developed long ago sitting in the duck blind for the first time as a youngster with my father. He fed my need to learn every aspect of what it meant to be a sportsman and an adventurer with every chance he had. As I became more proficient for myself, I began to turn the tables and spread this fever with anyone that showed desire. Now married, I have been able to share with my wife, Hannah, why I find myself daydreaming about a cool September morning or a late summer night on the shore. Luckily, she caught on and is with me every step of the way, well almost every step.

 With all of the energy and time I spend mulling over every detail to make me successful on the lake, the river, or in the woods, why not share some of these experiences? If nothing else, channel this obsession I have created to something material? I guess I can wade around any justification I want for preoccupying my time looking for the next escapade, but at the end of the day I am here to enjoy this life with those who I care for most doing what we love most, staying outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment